Interesting: someone PMed me and was all “Why you wanna talk about this company so much? It's weird,” and so first of all, this is my blog: I do what I want, and second I AM interested in this stuff, so too bad. I’m studying the environment right now and a large part of that is business and incentivizing the public to be “green”. It’s a growing field, one I hope to work in one day.
Moving on from that not-at-all distressing encounter, Annie’s puts a lot of effort into making all their packaging recyclable, purchasing carbon offsets, and wind credits in order to reduce its “bunny footprint” (cute!). Some of their pastas are rather creative, like noodles in the shape of peace signs, bunnies, and carrots, which is rather awesome. The company likes to promote vegetarianism as well, such as providing a soy alternative in a canned spaghetti and meatballs product. (annies.com) All this special stuff makes it rather expensive, how does that work? Next time, dear readers.
Your 'cute' comment made me realize--I think a large part of what's so great about Annie's is that they're so directly marketed towards children (with the cute bunny logo, letters on the back of the box, plus I think in Whole Foods they're usually low down on the shelf where kids can see them, etc). While I don't think Annie's--at least, not Annie's alone--is going to start a revolution of kids who will ALL grow up and hug trees, I *do* think the brand can start to plant the seed of environmentalism in kids' minds, which is awesome. Yay for brainwashing of the good variety! :)
ReplyDelete